Monday, November 12, 2018

Cryptoassets: Key to making Googlzon a reality?


On one of my consulting gigs in my prior life, I recalled seeing the video called "EPIC 2014". One of my colleagues at the time told me to check it out. It had the "Matrix" feel to it, but for those familiar with recent movies I would say it's a bit closer to Her.

Take a look:



I've intended to write a post for a while on how Googlzon may actually come to fruition. Sure, one of the key messages of the flash-based video is that people are "amusing themselves to death", but to stick to the tech side of things I wanted to reflect on how the payments aspect works in EPIC.

And that's what struck me: it would probably require some type of crypto-asset or blockchain enabled technology that would enable content providers a way to get paid.

Is this really a scenario where blockchain could help?
I've commented on the past about "blockchainthusiasts" overhyping the technology. But this it's time different.

In a previous post, I wrote how Amazon would be the natural patron for a corporate-cryptocurrency:

"So likely a retailer alliance could be something that poses a challenge to banks and their networks. Amazon already has Amazon Coin, but I think that if they teamed up with Walmart you would have something that basically has wide acceptance. And that's when the games will begin. Retailers also have an incentive to cut-out the banks and save those credit card fees. However, for this to have user acceptance the retailers would need to give their consumers a cut."

And also I noted how a cryptocurrency could be the antidote to media's malaise, specifically:

"When I heard the panelist discuss [use of cryptocurrency-technology as a basis for micropayments], I thought this made a lot of sense. Being someone who has given into paywalls, I would most likely have a media budget set aside that would allow me to pay for articles - 10 cents here or 25 cents there - to consume content. This is much better than being on the hook for hundreds of dollars a month for subscriptions you may or may not use."

Enter the Brave Browser and the Basic Attention Token
I recently was reintroduced to Basic Attention Token (BAT).

Check out how it works:


Pretty amazing how EPIC almost predicted the establishment of a system that would require BAT?

It seems like such a small part of the EPIC system that was outlined in the dystopian pic. But it is a key part of such of a Googlzon eco-system as to how people would be paid and it seems like crypto-assets would be the best candidate for the job.

Author: Malik Datardina, CPA, CA, CISA. Malik works at Auvenir as a GRC Strategist that is working to transform the engagement experience for accounting firms and their clients. The opinions expressed here do not necessarily represent UWCISA, UW, Auvenir (or its affiliates), CPA Canada or anyone else

No comments: